Thursday, October 25, 2007

Get Your Iron

OK, so I decided to push past my fears of giving blood and donate blood yesterday during my 3-11 shift. I can't stand getting stuck! I know, doesn't make a bit of sense. So, I leave my patients in the care of the charge nurse, nervously amble downstairs and wait in line for 45 minutes, get my blood sugar checked, eat an apple and a muffin and then get stuck AGAIN, only to find my iron level is too low and I cannot donate. And I thought I was going to overcome my fears!
To make matters worse, Jonathan hears word of this and totally starts analyzing everything I eat(By the way, he thinks I don't eat enough, I, April, who can eat 5 slices of pizza at a sitting)
Anyway, now I've got his eyes on my every bite! I love that about my husband. He gets all up in your business and that means he cares about you!

Oh, well, all this to say giving blood is a great thing to do, but get your iron up!!!
Foods high in iron are red meats, leafy greens(like spinach) raisins and liver(uugghh!)
Oh, well, maybe next time I can become friends with the blood-hoarding needle of the American Red Cross!

2 comments:

Erin said...

it's true that the majority of women are boarderline anemic...we have to work a little harder to keep those levels up!

and i totally understand about the sticking...i got my blood drawn the other week to do a blood lipid panel, etc. and i about passed out. seriously...i got faint, had to put my head between my legs, and my hearing kept going in and out. so sad... :)

April Drolet said...

It must run in the family, Erin...I'm going to make a spinach/black bean lasagna and get those levels up!